This semester, workshops will take place on Mondays (3:30pm – 5pm), and Thursdays and Fridays (12:30pm – 2pm). A complete schedule follows.
Reading and Interpretation
The three workshops in this series teach the strategies and processes of effective critical readers.
- Reading Strategically presents methods of efficient, targeted reading in any field or genre. Th 9/19, F 10/4, M 11/4, F 12/6
- Analyzing Texts focuses on critical examination of academic and literary texts. M 9/16, Th 10/3, F 11/8, M 11/25
- Analyzing Images introduces key terms and approaches for understanding artistic, historical, and commercial images. M 10/21
Structuring an Argument
The three workshops in this series will help you build clear, complicated arguments.
- Comparing and Contrasting offers tools for developing effective comparative essays. F 9/20, M 10/7, Th 11/7, M 12/2
- Developing Thesis Statements focuses on strategies for complex, evidence-based theses in any field. Th 9/26, F 10/11, F 11/1, M 11/11, Th 12/12
- Controlling an Argument with Topic Sentences provides practice in structuring and connecting paragraphs. M 9/23, Th 10/10, F 11/15, Th 12/5
Writing with Research
These four workshops guide you through the research process, from developing a topic to understanding citation.
- Focusing Research Topics presents methods for narrowing and articulating a research question. Th 10/17, M 11/18
- Using Sources Strategically introduces tools for categorizing and making the most of sources. Th 10/24, F 11/22
- Summarizing and Responding to Sources focuses on managing, presenting, and talking back to research material. F 10/18, Th 11/14
- Ethical Writing and Research addresses how writers build authority with effective summary and citation. F 10/25
Revising and Process
The two workshops in this series teach you how to capitalize on both drafting and revision.
- Writing for Readers’ Needs introduces methods for drafting productively before revising for a reader. F 9/27, M 10/28, Th 11/21, F 12/13
- Developing Revision Strategies focuses on specific interventions to address your revision goals. M 9/30, Th 10/31, M 12/9
Please click here for a printable version of the Fall 2013 Workshop Schedule.